Tips & tricks
SetupDiGetDeviceInterfaceDetail fails on 64 bit windows
Set "cbSize" in SP_DEVICE_INTERFACE_DETAIL_DATA to 8 instead of 6.
Fonts in Google Chrome look ugyl
To resolve this, adjust the clear type settings.
OpenVPN-GUI & 'up'-scripts
For some reason on windows with openvpn gui v1.0.3 the 'up'-scripts (see the ovpn-file) are not executed.
This can be worked around by either:
- right clicking on the ovpn file and selecting "Start OpenVPN on this config file"
- or by renaming your up-script to 'client_up.bat' where "client" is the filename of your ovpn-file. e.g. when your ovpn file is called "office.ovpn", the up-script should be named "office_up.bat"
Installing Visual Studio 6.0 without the Java update/install
Create a file msjava.dll (contents does not matter) in c:\windows\system32.
XP on an IBM R60 laptop: BlueTooth does not work after laptop suspend
- In microsoft active sync: go to connection settings and deselect 'allow connections to one of the following'.
- Go to bluetooth configuration -> local services -> remove the serial device -> ok.
- Shutdown the bluetooth radio (via Fn + F5).
- Power up the bluetooth radio.
- Go to bluetooth configuration -> local services -> add serial device.
- Select 'startup automatically'.
- Press ok and ok again to close the bluetooth configuration panel.
- In microsoft activesync, go to connection settings, select "allow connections to one of the following" and make sure the serial port in the dropdownbox below is the same as created in the bluetooth configuration screen.
- Now you should be ready to go.
Retrieving blackberry counters using SNMP
You cannot do an snmpwalk of the whole system and expect the BES OIDs to come up. Instead you need to retrieve directly the OID you would like to know. E.g.:
snmpwalk -v 1 -c public IPADRES 220.127.116.11.4.1.3518.104.22.168.202.1
You might need to change 'public' and definately need to replace 'IPADRES'.
Automatically stop applications that have hung themselves up
In the registry, add to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop a value called 'AutoEndTasks' of type REG_SZ with value '1' to enable this feature (or 0 to disable).
Win32 port of fetchmail complains about ownership configfile
When you invoke the Win32 port of fetchmail with a configurationfile (using the -f commandline switch), fetchmail sometimes complains about the ownership of configuration-file. Then make sure that it is owned by the user with which you logged in. Big fat warning: if you log-in as local administrator, the ownership must be the local administrator, not the domain administrator!
Remove drivers from a device which is not plugged in
Normally windows (xp at least) doesn't show you all drivers which are installed, only when the device is plugged in.
To be able to see all drivers start cmd.exe and type:
then click on 'show hidden devices' and there they are!